ARUGULA & PEAR SALAD
Elegant and crisp, this arugula and pear salad balances textures and flavors to make for a perfect start to a meal.
Ingredients + Preparation
- Arugula (Four handfuls)
- Pear (Two, peeled, core removed and finely sliced)
- Cheese: Gorgonzola, bleu or feta (75g, crumbled)
- Roasted nuts: Walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts or slivered almonds (1/2 cup)
- Vinaigrette (See recipe)
- Pepper (To taste)
1. Roast the nuts in the oven at 200 C / 400 F for around 7-8 minutes, or until they darken slightly. Check them frequently to make sure they don't burn. Once done let cool.
2. Add all ingredients to the bowl and mix.
3. Add fresh pepper to taste.
Northern Rhône, France
A fruit driven yet subtle white will complement this salad nicely. You could also pair this dish with many of the leaner crisp whites like riesling or semillon. Depending on what else you're eating, try this out with a Marsanne.
Tips + Tricks
- You'll typically find this style of recipe uses walnuts, but any variety of nut can be used.
- Try to use a harder variety of pear, as the fruit will give the dish better texture and retain its shape.
This nutritionally side salad is a delicious source of healthy dark-green leafy veggies, which are good for almost all of your body's systems! Walnuts add heathy fats, protein and a variety of important minerals. For those that are lactose intolerant, you may tolerate blue cheese or chèvre (soft goat cheese).