With creamy buffalo mozzarella and ripe tomatoes this is simplicity at its finest! This fresh caprese salad is a winner at any meal.
Ingredients + Preparation
- Large tomato (Four, sliced)
- Mozzarella: Use Buffalo if you can find it (200 g, pulled into bite-sized pieces)
- Basil (1/2 cup)
- Olive oil (2 tbsp)
- Balsamic vinegar cream/glaze (3 tbsp, to drizzle)
- Salt & pepper (To taste)
1. Plate the prepped ingredients on your serving dish, alternating layers of tomato, mozzarella and basil leaves.
2. Drizzle the olive oil and balsamic glaze across the salad. Add a dusting of salt & pepper.
Sancerre, Loire Valley, France
Chianti, Tuscany, Italy
Look for a crisper white wine like a Sauvignon Blanc that will pair well with the acidity of the tomatoes. In general with acidic foods you want to avoid bigger reds with high tannins as acid will make these wines taste harsher.
If you're not a fan of white wine, a red like Chianti with sour cherry flavors and balanced acidity will be fantastic.
Tips + Tricks
- This recipe is incredibly simple. That said, the quality of the ingredients you use will be what takes it from good to great. Find some quality tomatoes and invest in good cheese for the tastiest finished product!
This low-carb salad is both healthy and delicious. Tomatoes are packed with lycopene and vitamin C, both powerful antioxidants that balance free radicals and protect against diseases and help keep bones strong. It has good fats from the olive oil and a decent amount of protein from the cheese. Basil has a long list of health benefits, and importantly helps with digestion.