These build-your-own pita pockets are a delicious and fun way to enjoy moist chicken, fresh veggies and dips.
Ingredients + Preparation
- Chicken: Breast or thigh (450g / 1 lb, cut in thin slices)
- Humus (To taste)
- Tzatziki (One cup)
- Red onion (1/2 cup, sliced)
- Peppers (1/2 cup, sliced)
- Lettuce or spinach (One handful)
- Tomato (One, sliced)
- Pita bread (Four)
- Lemon (Half, for juicing)
- Salt & pepper (To taste)
1. In the bowl, combine chicken with lemon juice, thyme and salt & pepper and marinate in the fridge for at least an hour (if you don't have an hour marinate as long as you have).
2. Heat the frying pan to medium-high heat and cook chicken in olive oil for 7-8 minutes. Flip chicken half way through to ensure all sides cook to golden. Season with lemon and let rest for 3 minutes once cooked.
3. To build your gyro, lay pita bread on the plate and pile with all your prepped fillings and cooked chicken.
Clean, crisp white
Various regions, Australia
Think Mediterranean: light crisp flavors go with light crisp wines. Nothing fancy here just good elegant wines paired with good fresh food. Avoid anything heavy, too aromatic or complex that might complicate the food. Can't go wrong with a dry rose!
This dish is full of nutrients, much more than most sandwiches, especially if you use spinach, extra peppers, onions and tzatziki. The more good stuff you put in it the better!