Coconut milk transforms your every day rice into a creamy treat. Pairs great with Thai curries, sautéed fish or grilled chicken.
Ingredients + Preparation
- White rice (Two cups)
- Coconut milk (One can)
- Water (1 1/2 cup)
- Salt (Two pinches)
- Sugar (1 tbsp - optional)
1. Wash rice under room temperature water, stirring with your hand to mix the grains. Water should run clear after three rinses.
2. Add rice, coconut milk, water, salt and sugar into your rice cooker or pot.
3a. If using a pot, cover with lid and bring rice and water to a boil and cook for 2 minutes, then drop heat to lowest temperature and cook for 15 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed.
3b. If using a rice cooker just switch it on and let it do its thing.
4. Remove the lid and fluff the rice.
5. Serve immediately or re-cover with lid.
Rhine Valley, Germany
Either of these whites will be fine with this and other Asian dishes. Be mindful of how spicy you make your meal, as this can influence which wine to pair: simple rule if the food is spicy you'll typically need a wine with a bit more sweetness to pair it with. As this rice is very creamy, a wine that is itself creamy will enhance that texture.
Coconut delivers a lot of manganese which helps form bones and metabolizes amino acids and copper, which is important for iron metabolism, making red blood cells and immune health. Increase fiber and general nutrition by using brown rice, which lessens the impact of coconut's high saturated (bad) fat.