CORN & BLACK BEAN SALAD
Sweet and salty, this fresh Southwestern-inspired salad leans on a perfect balance of corn, bell pepper, black beans and creamy feta.
Ingredients + Preparation
- Corn (Two ears, husk and silk removed)
- Black beans (One can, rinsed to remove juice)
- Bell pepper (One, stem and seeds removed and chopped into small pieces)
- Coriander (1 cup, chopped)
- Red onion (One, finely diced)
- Feta (1/2 cup, crumbled)
- Olive oil (2 tbsp)
- Lime (One, for juicing)
- Cumin (1 tbsp)
- Salt & pepper (To taste)
1. Add olive oil, lime juice and cumin to the bowl and mix until liquid is consistent.
2. Add corn, black beans, bell pepper, coriander and red onion to the bowl and toss in the dressing.
3. Crumble in the feta. Salt & pepper to taste.
Southern Rhône Valley, France
Look for something that is a bit on the lighter side that won't overpower the fresh corn and acid of the lime, but will also sit well with the beens and peppers. Best bet is to keep it simple, as there's a lot of Mexican style flavors here that lend themselves to a fruity red. Go for a Cab Sauv or a grenache, which you can even chill slightly if you're hosting on a warm day!
Tips + Tricks
- Make sure you fully rinse the beans to remove all of the juice from the can. This liquid can easily kill the freshness of the dish. Rinse them well in the can or use a sieve.
This side-dish is very low in saturated (bad) fat and cholesterol. It is a good source of vegetable protein, vitamins A and C, B vitamins and many minerals. These nutrients boost your immune system, help your muscles, and support the digestive and nervous systems. It's also a very good source of fiber. Enjoy!