All the veggies you need in one bowl, this salad recipe is packed with fresh leafy greens and multiple sources of protein. Great as a healthy lunch or as a side to your main course!
A dry white
Ingredients + Preparation
- Spinach or lettuce (Four big handfuls)
- Fresh parsley (1/2 cup, chopped)
- Carrot (One, grated)
- Beans (One can, rinsed to remove juice)
- Medium tomatoes (Two, cut in bite-sized pieces)
- Pickled beets (One can, liquid drained)
- Feta (1 cup, crumbled)
- Nuts: Almonds, cashews or walnuts (1/2 cup)
- Vinaigrette (See recipe)
1. Put all ingredients in a serving bowl, drizzle with vinaigrette and toss.
1. Roast the nut of your choosing in the oven at 200 C / 400 F until browned, around 7 minutes.
2. Using chickpeas as the bean of choice, sauté in a pan with a dash of oil. Add honey, cumin and salt and pepper (this will also taste delish on its own).
3. Put all ingredients in the serving bowl, toss and drizzle with vinaigrette.
A dry white
Light and crisp would be the recommendation. You'll likely be eating this salad with something else, so consider the overall flavors of the meal. Because of how accessible this salad is, a lighter red will also work just fine. Suggest you stay away from aromatic whites and sweet wines.
Raw spinach, while high in calcium and iron, has oxalic acid, a calcium and iron absorption inhibitor. Combining with the vitamin C in the tomatoes helps aid iron absorption. Nuts and beans will add plant based protein, vitamins & minerals and healthy fats. Fresh vinaigrette is a fantastic alternative to many of the unhealthy dressings you'll find in stores.