HONEY SOY TOFU
This fried sesame tofu works great as an easy snack or as added protein. Perfect for those looking for a tasty meat alternative!
Ingredients + Preparation
- Firm tofu (500g, cut into slices)
- Garlic (One clove)
- Sesame oil (Two tbsp)
- Soy (3 tbsp)
- Honey (1 1/2 tbsp)
- Warm water (2 tbsp)
- Pepper (Two grinder twists)
1. On medium-high, cook tofu in sesame oil for 5 minutes, or until side is golden.
2. While tofu is cooking, combine garlic, soy, honey, water and pepper in the bowl and mix.
3. Flip tofu and cook a further 5 minutes.
4. Add sauce mixture to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, giving time for the sauce to slightly reduce. Flip tofu to ensure each piece is thoroughly coated.
5. Serve immediately, and make sure to drizzle any remaining sauce over the tofu once plated.
Rhine River Valley, Germany
This dish is a balance of sweat and salty, so look for a crisper white. Be mindful that you don't go too sweet or the sweetness of the honey might just make the wine taste sour. Gewürztraminers and Rieslings generally go well with Asian cuisines, and you can find some pretty unique wines from different parts of the world. Ask around for an aromatic wine and be willing to try something new!
Tips + Tricks
- When you first cook one side of the tofu leave it be for most of the cooking time. If you keep moving it around the pan it won't cook to the perfect golden texture we're after!
- You can play around with the sauce to get the taste you're after. This recipe leans towards the sweet side, but you can try adding things like chili oil, rice wine vinegar and any other Asian flavor you have on hand.
Tofu is a good vegetable source of protein and fiber. If you choose tofu with added calcium, you will get a bit of calcium with every bite.