Lettuce cups make for a fresh and easy appetizer or meal. Sweet and salty with added crunch, this dish is great for any occasion!
Ingredients + Preparation
- Iceberg lettuce (One head, whole leaves removed to use as the cups)
- Mince: beef, pork, chicken or tofu (500 g)
- Garlic (3 cloves, minced)
- Onion (One, diced)
- Ginger (Size of thumb, skin removed and minced)
- Carrot (One, cut into small pieces)
- Mushrooms: Any common variety (1 cup, sliced)
- Peanuts (1/2 cup)
- Coriander (1/2 cup, stems removed)
- Rice wine vinegar (1/4 cup)
- Sesame oil (2 tbsp)
- Soy (2 tbsp)
- Hoisin sauce (3 tbsp)
- Salt & pepper (To taste)
1. On medium heat cook the mince for 5-6 minutes, until just slightly pink. Drain off any fat and set mince aside.
2. Cook garlic, onion, ginger and carrot in sesame oil for 3 minutes, until onion is slightly golden.
3. Add mushroom slices. Cook for another 5-6 minutes.
4. Add the mince and stir through. Add soy, rice wine vinegar, and hoisin. Salt & pepper to taste and cook for a final 3 minutes.
5. Serve garnished with fresh coriander and peanuts.
Rieslings can come in all shapes and sizes. For this dish look for a dry, vibrant riesling with a good amount of acidity. The fresh lettuce, ginger and coriander will pop when matched with this wine. Whatever wine you choose, keep it light to match the brighter flavors in in the food!
To lower saturated (bad) fats, use chicken or tofu instead of pork or beef. Adding more vegetables will add flavor and additional vitamins and minerals, so a win-win!