PENNE ALLA VODKA SAUCE
Finally a good use for vodka! This creamy, rich and sophisticated sauce is an easy way to impress.
Ingredients + Preparation
- Penne (or any other pasta you want)
- Garlic (2 cloves, minced)
- Heavy whipping cream (250 ml)
- Canned tomato (One can)
- Tomato paste (1 tbsp)
- Vodka (1/4 cup)
- Cayenne pepper (1 tsp)
- Sharp cheese: parmesan, grana Padano (1/2 cup)
- Salt & pepper (To taste)
1. Boil water and cook pasta until al dente.
2. On medium heat, cook garlic in butter until slightly golden, about 2 minutes.
3. Stir in tomato sauces and cook for another 3 minutes.
4. Add vodka and mix thoroughly. Cook for 5 minutes, until the sauce has reduced.
5. Drop heat to low and add cream, cheese and cayenne. Cook for a final 5 minutes and then remove from heat.
6. For a smooth sauce, use a hand blender to puree the sauce.
7. Serve over the pasta and garnish with fresh herb and grated cheese.
The pasta is just a very effective way to eat this creamy and rich sauce. The vodka imparts a really unique flavor into the tomato and cream base. You'll want a wine that can cut through the creaminess, but doesn't overpower the subtle tastes of the sauce.
With a classic Italian dish like pasta you really can't go wrong with a red from... you guessed it: Italy! Medium bodied wines, high tannins and acidity are perfect with a tomato based sauce. If you are after a white, try out a Sauvignon Blanc, which has nice acid and fruit.
Check out: Chianti, Brunello di Montalcino or Vino Nobile di Montepulciano
A good source of protein. While it won't be as creamy you can use low-fat cream to reduce the saturated (bad) fat content of the dish. Serve with a high-fiber veggie like asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts or spinach salad, as foods high in fiber are good to lessen the impact of foods high in saturated fat. Consider using whole wheat pasta to increase nutrition content and fiber.