PUMPKIN & SPINACH SALAD
Sweet roasted pumpkin partners with spinach and feta to create this hearty salad. A great dish for the autumn and winter months!
Ingredients + Preparation
- Pumpkin or squash (300 g, cleaned and chopped into 3 cm / 1 inch cubes)
- Spinach (Four handfuls)
- Parsley (3/4 cup, chopped)
- Small red onion (cut in half and finely sliced)
- Feta (75g, crumbled)
- Vinaigrette (See recipe)
- Salt & pepper (To taste)
1. Remove the seeds (and skin if preferred) from the pumpkin. Chop into 3 cm / 1 inch cubes.
2. Place pumpkin on baking tray and drizzle with oil. Season with salt & pepper. Cook at 200 C / 400 F for 25 minutes, or until soft and caramelized. Let cool once cooked.
3. Add all the ingredients in the mixing bowl and toss.
4. Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve.
Look for Chardonnay that offers nice stone fruits and enough fruit sweetness to stand up with the starchy and sweet pumpkin. This is a heavier salad, so an oaked chardonnay will offer plenty of texture and creaminess (aka 'butter') and complement the dish nicely.
Tips + Tricks
- If you have a grill you can cook the pumpkin on that, which will give It a nice char and smoky flavor.
- Throw in some walnuts or other nut to add a bit more protein.
This salad is packed with nutrients, including vitamins A, C and E, B vitamins, iron, magnesium and phosphorus, potassium and manganese. In one way shape or form these are goodness for every system in your body! Sprinkle with seeds like pepitas for added protein and healthy fats. Enjoy!