Let the oven do all the work to roast and caramelize your favorite veggies. Savory herbs round out this simple dinner time side.
Ingredients + Preparation
- Pumpkin / squash
- Sweet potato
- Olive oil (To drizzle)
- Dried herb: Thyme, rosemary or oregano (2 tbsp)
- Salt & pepper (To taste)
1. Preheat oven to 200 C / 400 F.
2. Cute veggies into 3 cm / 1 inch cubes and place in baking sheet.
3. Drizzle with olive oil and season with dried herb and salt & pepper.
4. Roast on a bottom oven rack for 30-35 minutes, or until veggies have caramelized and are soft in the center.
Pair based on main
Roast veggies are very inoffensive so you have a lot of flexibility with the wine you choose. Have a think about what you're serving these veggies with and make your choice based on that!
Tips + Tricks
- Root veggies are cheap but can be the perfect filler for any meal, especially if you live in a house with big eaters. Roasting them in the oven takes a lot of the work out of the process too.
- Some veggies are denser than others which means their cooking times may vary. If you're roasting something like sweet potatoes and zucchini, let the denser potatoes cook for around 10 minutes before adding the less dense zucchini. This will ensure consistency in cooking and doneness.
Roasting veggies is much healthier than frying them. As long as they aren't over cooked, they retain a lot of important vitamins and minerals. They also offer a decent 'full factor' without the bloated feeling. Choose a variety of colors: orange, yellow, red - the more diversity the better!