SAUSAGE & APPLE PASTA
Caramelized apples and spicy Italian sausage make this simple pasta dish an easy winner.
Ingredients + Preparation
- Pasta (Your choice)
- Italian sausage (Five, sliced into bite sized pieces)
- Onion (One, diced)
- Garlic (One clove, minced)
- Apple (One, core removed and cut into thin slices)
- Parmesan cheese (To taste)
- Olive oil (1 tbsp)
- Fresh herb (Chopped, for garnish)
- Salt & pepper (To taste)
1. Boil water and cook pasta until al dente.
2. On medium-high heat cook sausage, onion and garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes, until sausage and onions being to caramelize.
3. Add apple and cook for a further 4-5 minutes, until the sausage is cooked through and the apple has softened. Stir frequently at this point to avoid apples overcooking on one side.
4. Serve over pasta with cheese and fresh herb for garnish.
Chianti, Tuscany, Italy
Light red with sour cherry flavors and balanced acidity, this will cut through the fattiness of the pork in the sausage while also complementing the sweetness of the apple. This is a classic pairing and you can't really go wrong with this Sangiovese varietal.
Tips + Tricks
- With such simple ingredients this pasta dish can be easily scaled if you're feeding a big group.
- A tablespoon of olive tapenade or sun-dried tomatoes will add a bit more complexity to the dish
Use turkey sausage instead of pork to dramatically reduce the saturated (bad) fat and overall fat content. This is a good source of protein, vitamin E and essential fatty acids (the good fats).