These stuffed peppers are a great all-in-one dish that offers fantastic flexibility of possible fillings and plenty of flavor! Try adjusting the ingredients using any leftovers you have in the fridge.
Ingredients + Preparation
- Bell peppers (Four, tops cut off)
- Cooked grain: Mexican rice, couscous (Two cups)
- Meat: Pulled chicken/beef or mince (One cup, cooked)
- Onion (One, minced)
- Mushrooms: Any common variety (1 cup, sliced)
- Garlic (Two cloves, minced)
- Cumin (Two tbsp)
- Paprika (One tbsp)
- Dried oregano (One tbsp)
- Cheese (One cup, grated)
- Sour cream (To taste)
- Diced chives (To garnish)
- Olive oil (For sautéing)
1. Preheat oven to 200 C / 400 F.
2. On medium heat, sauté onion, mushrooms and garlic in olive oil for 4 minutes, until mushrooms have sweat. If you don't have any precooked meat add it here. Season with oregano, paprika and cumin.
3. Place peppers in baking tray with open side facing up.
4. Fill each pepper with rice first, then meat and top with veggie mix.
5. Bake for 15 minutes, then add cheese on top.
6. Bake for a further 5 minutes, until cheese has melted and goldened.
7. Garnish with chives and serve with sour cream.
Rhone Valley, France
Barossa Valley, South Australia
Look for bolder wines that have good fruit presence, such as a Grenache. Try to stick with a new world wine from Australia and the US, as they are typically more fruit forward to roll with these bold flavors in the food. You can also try Spanish Garnacha, an older wine variety (it gave us today's Grenache) that in recent years has rebounded.
Tips + Tricks
- Stuffed peppers are a great way to put a spin on any leftovers in your fridge. Leftover meats and grains can be easily combined with the sautéed fresh veggies to fill out your peppers.
This tasty dish delivers a long list of nutrients - protein, fiber, vitamins C and B, phosphorus, potassium and copper, iron, magnesium, zinc and manganese. These vitamins and minerals are key to many chemical reactions that take place in your body, your immune system and your digestion, among other benefits.